The New Zealand Association of General Surgeons is a membership based organisation of general surgeons throughout New Zealand. The principal functions of the Association are to represent the broad and collective interests of general surgeons particularly in the areas of vocational training, continuing professional development, workforce planning as well as acting as the interface between general surgeons, Government and components of the health sector generally.
The main activities of the Association include:
- Annual Scientific Weekend meeting, usually held in March of each year
- Selection for vocational training
- Delivery of General Surgery vocational training
- Representation and advocacy for general surgeons in their interaction with Government, DHBs, Medical Council of New Zealand and other healthcare and patient organisations
- Newsletter for members
- Regular updates on issues relevant to General Surgery in New Zealand for members through this website